Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Ouf"

It's my favourite word these days- I supposed because it can be used to express a number of emotions in one reaction. I'm borrowing it from all the French comic books I've ever read, heheh.

Speaking of French comic books, has anyone seen the Smurfs movie? I can't decide if I will see it because it should have been made in French, let's be honest ;) and it's not set in the forest with the little huts. Haha. That's not really why.

it's one of those days.

Today, I biked to work in the pouring rain and alas, once at work, deteriorated quickly into a grump. I hate getting all damp and chilled and now I'm trying to inconspicuously dry my wet clothes at an empty desk. Here's hoping they dry before home-time.

Unlike a certain cycling-in-the-rain enthusiast, I can't say I care for it. I don't mind actually riding in the rain, it's getting to my destination looking like a drowned rat and not feeling much better that bothers me, particularly when I'm expected to look somewhat presentable. In other news, I forgot to cover my bike seat till it was soaked, sheesh. Plus I burnt my tongue on my coffee.

I could use some tea and a pair of socks.

Work is overwhelming at the moment- being in an industry that is heavily affected by recent market upheavals will do that. It means I'm a little short on patience but I'm working on it, I promise:) Trying to be understanding with people takes more of an effort when everyone and their mother has multiple questions and there's no chance to breathe all day long.

But anyways- everything is not all about me and I'm done complaining now. There's more to life and I don't want to waste my time wishing things were otherwise. (I say that because it's too easy to do, some days.)

I've recently re-discovered a certain author and in particular, a favourite childhood book. A few years ago, my family purged their bookshelves and got rid of a ton of books because of their sheer number all over the house, probably. Admittedly, I'm still a little bitter that I wasn't consulted, being the book-lover of the family, and I don't like to think of the favourites that are irreplaceable or old that I may not see again.

One of these was Many Moons, by James Thurber. I found this at my local library and was unabashedly delighted- one of the best fairytale-type books ever but in a simple, prosaic way, if that makes any sense. It's made even better by illustrations by Louis Slobodkin- awesome.

Of course, I snatched up another book by him at the library that I had not read, called 13 Clocks- a rather curious read but irresistible as well.

Maybe it's a little odd that some of my favourites are from my dad's childhood or before, but I think that's what you get with a primary schoolteacher for a dad, one who brings home his favourites. Anyways, I have no problem with it, all it means is that I get a lot of blank stares when I mention books that people should read. (Or borrow for their kids.) While picking blueberries with my friends, I reminded them of Blueberries for Sal, but they hadn't heard of it (tsk, tsk), so I may have to get a copy for their daughter when she's able to read :) Mind you, it was probably written in the fifties as well...here we go again...heheh.

Okay, I'll stop rambling about miscellaneous children's books. I'm not even sure if anyone who reads this would be interested by that, so I may just be humouring myself and alienating all of you, heheh ;) Hope not. I'll tone it down for the next post, I promise.

One more thing about the "ouf!" is that it's been a week (or two, or three) of craziness but it will even out - maybe? I got a response from a part-time job I really was hoping for and it didn't happen the way I'd hoped. I've been emotionally drained by what my friends are going through. I got cleated in soccer, got a big bruise in soccer and could barely move my arm after ball hockey- but again, I can move, I can jump, I can collide into people- life is good!

Now, to get through the rest of the day so I can put my damp clothes back on and bike to church. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for your patience in reading, if you've made it this far :) Ciao!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with riding in the rain, I tells you! ;) It's a fantastic time. Although I will admit that wet clothes are a bit of a drag.

Speaking of French comics, I can't wait until the Tintin movie comes out! I was the Tintin king back in the day. "Ouf" definitely made its fair share of appearances, too. ;)

Nathalie said...

Sending you a virtual cup of tea and warm pair of socks. Feel better? ;)

Sarah said...

Ooh, how did I not know about this Tintin movie? I must check it out :)

Thanks, Nathalie, that's sweet of you!:)

nook. said...

blueberries for sal is one of our favourite books! love it! also, i think you're awesome for biking in the rain. :)