It's been a busy few weeks, despite making concerted efforts at slowing down time and taking advantage of a bit of free time. It's filled up quickly, that's for sure.
These last two months (or three or four) probably hold a record-breaking number of changes, such as deciding to take further study (and all the ramifications of that), trying to make career and job decisions (including multiple job interviews) and even changing around the furniture in my apartment. They all add up, and there are days that I embrace the change and days that I dig my heels in and cross my arms and pout (like today).
Sigh.
I'm doing a lot of that lately, it feels like.
After hitting what seems to be just one more dead end at the end of a really exciting path (which confuses me every time), I'm trying to reevaluate and also not read too much into things. Just because things don't turn out a certain way doesn't mean something isn't "meant to be." Sometimes, yes; however, I'm slowly learning that to get where you want to go, you have to really work at it. It's not something separate from faith or only about faith in the sense that everything is or isn't a sign from God, I just mean that in the general sense, even though I feel God is guiding me in general to make certain career decisions over others, a lot of this is plain hard work.
Maybe I can explain this better (aka in a less yawn-inducing way) through a story I read just the other day. In the midst of madly cleaning my apartment, I picked up a short kid's novel that I'd bought at a used bookstore, and read it cover to cover. It was a nice break :) It's called The Midwife's Apprentice, by Catherine Cushman, and is about a young girl in medieval England who starts out at the bottom of society in the village, and in the end gains the skills and confidence to take her place in the community. It struck me at the ending that you really have to fight for what's important to you if you ever want it to come true; this rings true for me on the career decision front.
On a brighter note, I'm looking forward to seeing my family for a few days in August and going to a friend's wedding- that's my big holiday for the summer :) Anyone else have any vacation plans coming up?
No comments:
Post a Comment