Oh, Anne musical that I saw a bajillion years ago in elementary school. Why must you be so quote-able for back to school? Maybe it's time I got some new references....
Contentment.
Perhaps that's a strange topic to start out the school year with, but it's been on my mind.
Tomorrow is my first day of school, the first class I will have on an actual campus since transferring to university despite already being partway through third year! The last class I took was at PRBI; even the courses I did towards the ECE were online.
Suffice it to say I am a ball of nerves! I'm excited and a bit apprehensive because I'll be taking 19th century French literature here at the university, and two more courses online through Waterloo still. I've been telling people I feel a bit conflicted going to two universities at once, particularly as I'm pretty sure they're rival schools. ;) I guess I'll just have to stay away from football games!
Now I am getting to the good part of school. Despite feeling old already just from the few times I've had to go to campus, there is a certain energy about being there that is contagious. I've been wondering what clubs and sports I could get involved in - maybe join some sort of ensemble, or play intramural sports, or go on a trip or, or...there are too many options. However, I've had to admit to myself that many people are there because they've left home and now live at/near the university and they can get involved in whatever they like because school is their job and all that. Oh yes, and they're also a good ten years younger than me and I can't do everything, in spite of all my efforts!
Already I'm signed up for ball hockey and most likely at least one soccer team. I need to find an second part-time job a few hours a week on top of that, and need to especially make sure to do well in school as these marks will count in grad school applications.
This is why moving to Waterloo for this term would've been easier in some ways- certainly my social calendar would be a lot freer, although it is important to me to stay active throughout the colder months and have that outlet as well.
Ho-hum, how I do ramble! Back to what I was saying at first- I think it will be important for me to remain content this year at school. I am filled with gratitude at being able to study what I enjoy, be involved in the lives of families and friends that I am close with (which is above all a blessing and an honour for me) and although I haven't been running much, to be able to be active and not really injured right now.
However, being on campus provides lots of opportunity to compare myself to others, and that can get unhealthy fast. Let's be honest, it's not usually a comparison that flatters the beholder or the beholden, am I right? If I know myself, I have to stay focused on what is important and not let myself get discouraged over external appearance or appearances of success. Does that make sense to anyone else?
Next post I will put up some photos from the last several months...they are long overdue!
Happy school year to you students, and to you non-students, all the best with work and fall routines!
Thanks for reading!~
2 comments:
Looking forward to hearing about your campus adventures this year :)
Can't wait to see the pics!
Post a Comment