Monday, September 6, 2010

Family and Food

This past weekend, my dad and three younger brothers came to stay the night with us after dropping off our other brother at college on the way. The boys had never been here so it was exciting for them, and fun for me, too, to have them here.


On Saturday, I bought some organic veggies at the market that I'm hoping to cook up tonight- some kind of eggplant-tomato-cheese concoction, as I love that combination and it reminds me of Italy- and was given some tomatoes from some friends' garden as well. I have to cook them up in the space of a few days since, being organic, they go bad more quickly, so I have to stay on top of it better. Don't they look delicious?

Now for the fun stuff- I finally made another batch of macarons, which I've been thinking of for a while but got lazy when thinking of all the prep work. I don't have a food processor, so it takes a few steps to get the icing sugar and ground almonds fine enough to use, but I was very pleased with the results I got this time by sifting them through a colander.

I made a bittersweet chocolate toffee ganache that I have made previously, but the toffee bits must have been a bit old and I found it tasted kind of gross, so ended up caving and using PC Dulce de Leche. Originally I'd hoped to put together a salted butter caramel ganache, but by this time it was close to midnight and I went for the easy alternative. I'm looking forward to trying it next time, though.

For some reason they didn't turn out very round...maybe I should just invest in a pastry bag instead of cutting a corner from a Ziploc freezer bag :)

I hope you all had a great Labour Day weekend!

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

I still have yet to taste your macaroons! Thanks for your note on my last entry and for being so enthusiastic about the things in my life, it means a lot to me. I can't believe you are taking a few courses and working full time as well, you will have your hands full! I decided to just take one course at a time because I don't think I could handle much more as well as keep on top of the housework and everything else but hats off to you for doing that! I am glad you figured things out in time for the school year to begin. Keep me posted on how it's going. Love ya