Thursday, July 23, 2009

Down in the valley where the green grass grows...




I thought I was up-to-date on posting, but the way these days have been going, I'm missing a lot in a short time.

The weekend of my birthday, I went home to visit my family and to attend a family reunion. We sure packed a lot into a few days! We stayed up late on Friday night talking when I was so tired, but it was great to catch up and get into the discussions that always seem to end up happening:) Good ones, mostly, though!

Saturday, I awoke to thunder right overhead that was shaking the house, so all thoughts of sleep quickly vanished, but I hung out with my little brothers reading Astérix and Obélix comics with them and we had a hilarious time. I hung out with my little sister Ruth quite a bit, which was fun since we were the only two sisters home, not usual for when I'm visiting.


That afternoon was our family reunion- I'll post photos soon- that my cousin living out west organized. How great to see everyone again. I still feel like I'm a kid sometimes at those things, but this time felt like I was relating to my aunts and uncles and older cousins as an adult...about time, I know:) But it's like there's been a divide between my siblings and the older cousins, simply because we're in different places in life, but that gap is lessening as we get older. All in all, it was a delightful visit. I was so encouraged as well not to stress about career or life decisions- I guess I must have expressed those concerns to a few that were there, haha- oops! I hope it wasn't too much of a downer. Really, I have a cool family. Quirky and a little OCD at times, but fun all the same:)
My dad's retirement cake
Me and my cousin Julie

The next day, I got to see everyone at my parent's church- it's stranger and stranger every time I go home because there are more people cropping up that I've never met but apparently know who I am. Some little girl wished me a happy birthday because my mom must have mentioned it to her- I had no idea who she was at first:) I love seeing the ones I know, though, and got to visit with a few I really wanted to see.

That afternoon, my brother and I had a joint birthday celebration (since our birthdays fall in the same week). I don't think we've done that before and I really enjoyed sharing that with him. Mom made us mini fruit flans which we both were hoping for- it was so sweet of her.

Right after, I went to visit my friends Chantal and Nathalie, and it was great to see them. (I should say, it was great to see you, since you're mostly the ones who read this!) :) We'll have to visit longer next time! I'm glad I could stop by quickly though, and see Nicky too.

Unfortunately it was just a short visit as my parents were with me on the way to a 30th anniversary party for some friends I've known since birth, probably. What a reunion- I haven't seen some of those people for years, and it was great to spend some time on the Quebec side while at home and get back to those roots in a sense. It kind of felt like a homecoming, that whole afternoon.

Anouk, Amélie, me, and Marie-Michelle

Fanie and I

The next day I headed back on the Greyhound, but the trip was not so bad. I mostly slept and read and killed some time puttering around a few blocks away from depot in Toronto on my layover. All in all, a whirlwind weekend, but I had a great time reconnecting! Awkward at times, but wonderful too:)

Okay, I'll post photos soon, see ya's later, as we say in the Valley! :D

2 comments:

melissa said...

good to hear you have good family reunions! And even though I don't comment much, I do faithfully read your blog! love ya

Willow Dreamer said...

aw it was really nice to see you too!! Love seeing all those pictures of your family :) xo